TRIBAL KNIGHTS 2010 BAND LAUNCH
“Hollywood: Glitz and Glamour”
The 2010 Scotiabank Caribana Festival season officially kicked off with the first band launching of the year on Saturday, April 10th, 2010 with Dexter Seusahai’s Tribal Knights. Held at the beautiful Grand Luxe at 3125 Bayview Avenue, 1200+ supporters and potential mas players congregated to witness the revelation of “Hollywood: Glitz and Glamour”.
To get the crowd in the spirit of the night, an all-star line up of DJ’s including Stylus Soca DJ of the Year nominees Marxman and Soca Sweetness who rattled the floor like an earthquake with their mega-hit sets, DJ Jason Chambers (of the Attitude Sound Crew and Flow 93.5) laid down a sweet reggae set, alongside Goldfinger and Loudmout Chiney who were all there to get us ready for the feature presentation.
Having been backstage earlier to check up on the models prior to showtime, and being engulfed in a sea of feathers, beads, jewels, glitter, sequins and fishnets, when E-Man (Kingdom of Soca, Afropan) stepped out to MC the evening, even my anticipation had peaked as I wanted to see Hollywood come to life on the runway. In a stunning tribute to all the “glitz and glamour” that we associate with the movie capital of the world, Marilyn Monroe led off the 9 sections that were revealed as the crowd cheered for their favourites.
1. Paparazzi – Black, Section Leader: Shelly
2. Glitz – White and Silver, Section Leader: Gail
3. Arabian Nights – Blue and Gold, Section Leader: Noel
4. Rodeo Dreams – Pink and Yellow, Section Leader: Dexter
5. Indulgence – Blue and Brown, Section Leader: Shawn
6. Showtime – Orange and Green, Section Leader: Ann-Marie
7. Glamour – Blue and Purple, Section Leader: Astra and Natalie
8. Champagne on Ice – Gold, Green and Yellow, Section Leader: Dexter
9. Moulin Rouge – Red, Section Leader: Candice
So let’s take a look at the night on a whole.
• The Grand Luxe is a spacious and attractive venue that allowed the event to both serve as a true fete and fashion show.
• The models were as gorgeous as the costumes. EVERY single one of them had perfect ass(ets).
• Every section strongly supported the theme of “Hollywood”. The costumes spoke for themselves.
• The evening got started a little later than advertised, and there were a few patrons unable to wait until the end that missed seeing the runway action.
• Security had to intervene when a few patrons failed to respect that the “official” event photographers require the right of way in order to get the best photos of the models for publication.
• The only visual entertainment while we waited for the show to begin, were a few stray “winah boys” who crashed the stage. (Actually, it was very funny!)
Darling Nicky’s Final Thoughts:
Although the rest of the bands have yet to launch, it is clear that Dexter Seusahai’s Tribal Knights has set the bar high for the 2010 season. The teamwork, dedication and creativity were evident as an evening that has been many months in the making was shared with a crowd of dedicated supporters . Perhaps the only thing that could have topped the evening off any better, would have been if Jay W and Blaze had come out on the runway themselves and “palanced” us all the way home!
Written by Nicky Phillips a.k.a. Darling Nicky exclusively for www.tribalknights.com and www.darlingnicky999.com